How Do You Activate Cookies?
Activate Cookies are bits of information that websites save on your computer as you visit them. They make web browsing faster and easier by storing data that sites can access when you return. They can also help you personalize your online experience — for example by saving items in your shopping cart or by showing you ads that are relevant to your interests.
Activating cookies on your browser is a straightforward process that involves a few simple steps. Cookies are small pieces of data stored on your computer by websites to remember information about you, such as login details, preferences, and browsing history. Enabling cookies allows websites to provide a personalized and smoother browsing experience. Below, I’ll guide you through the process in a step-by-step manner, including different browsers and devices.
Enabling Cookies on Web Browsers
- Open Chrome: Launch the Chrome browser on your computer.
- Access Settings: Click on the three-dot menu icon at the top right corner of the window and select “Settings.”
- Expand Advanced Settings: Scroll down and click on “Advanced” to reveal more options.
- Privacy and Security: Under “Privacy and security,” click on “Site Settings.”
- Cookies: Locate and click on “Cookies and site data.”
- Turn On Cookies: Toggle the switch to enable “Allow sites to save and read cookie data.”
- Open Firefox: Launch the Firefox browser.
- Access Options: Click on the three horizontal lines (menu icon) and select “Options.”
- Privacy & Security: Choose the “Privacy & Security” panel.
- Cookies and Site Data: Scroll down to find the “Cookies and Site Data” section.
- Accept Cookies: Check the box for “Accept cookies and site data from websites” to enable cookies.
- Launch Safari: Open the Safari browser.
- Preferences: Click on “Safari” in the top menu and select “Preferences.”
- Privacy Settings: Navigate to the “Privacy” tab.
- Cookies and Website Data: Ensure the option “Block all cookies” is unchecked to allow cookies.
Enabling Cookies on Mobile Devices
- Open Chrome: Launch the Chrome app on your Android device.
- Menu and Settings: Tap the three-dot menu and select “Settings.”
- Site Settings: Tap on “Site settings.”
- Cookies: Tap on “Cookies” and toggle the switch to enable them.
- Go to Settings: Open the “Settings” app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Safari Settings: Scroll down and select “Safari.”
- Privacy & Security: Tap on “Block All Cookies” to turn the option off and allow cookies.
Why Enable Cookies?
Activating cookies can vary slightly based on browser versions and device types. Following these steps should enable cookies in most cases. Remember to periodically review your cookie settings to maintain a balance between privacy and a personalized browsing experience.
Activate cookies in your browser
Cookies can help make the web experience better for you by letting sites know who you are, remember your preferences, and more. They also allow you to use features like shopping carts and commenting on news articles. However, some people prefer to disable cookies.
To enable cookies in Chrome on a Mac or Windows computer, open the browser and click Settings. Then, in the Privacy and security section, click Advanced. In the Cookies and site data area, change the slider to On (recommended).
To enable cookies in Safari on a Mac or iOS device, open the Safari browser and click Preferences. On the Privacy tab, select either Always allow cookies, or Block all cookies. If you choose the second option, you can still set the Safari browser to block third-party cookies, but it will not affect cookies for UVA ITS websites. Click OK to save your changes.
Activate cookies in your mobile device
Cookies aren’t just for computers – you can also enable them on your mobile device. To do so, go to the settings of your web browser app. In Chrome, for example, tap More, then Settings, then Site settings. From there, you can toggle the cookies setting to enable them.
It’s important to note that enabling cookies in your mobile device may impact some website functionality. This is especially true on OverDrive websites. If you disable cookies, you may not be able to borrow titles or use other core features. For more information, see our guide to enabling cookies in your mobile browser. Google
Activate cookies in your tablet
Cookies are data files that save your preferences and settings for Web sites you view. They also help sites recognize your browser, which improves your experience, and allows the site to provide you with personalized content. You can enable cookies on your Android tablet by changing your browser settings. For example, in Chrome, tap More, which looks like three dots, and then Settings. You can then select the “Accept Cookies” option. Click “OK” to confirm your selection.
Activate cookies in your iPhone
It’s usually a good idea to enable cookies in your iPhone, but you should also know how to manage them properly. Cookies help websites personalize and streamline your web browsing, but they can also be dangerous if you allow third-party cookies. They may be used to collect your personal information and track you across the internet. Fortunately, you can avoid most of these risks by blocking all cookies in Safari settings.
If you have a Safari app on your iPhone, open the settings and find the Privacy & Security option. You’ll see a Block All Cookies slider, which should be toggled off (gray). Then, you can select the Prevent Cross-Site Tracking option to disable tracking cookies on your iPhone. This will prevent many ad companies from using your device to track you and provide more targeted ads. This is a very effective way to protect your privacy and improve your web experience.